Lots of news items this week pertaining to the outdoor world.
- An interesting podcast about “climbers relations with place.” Though about climbing, the topics can apply to any outdoor pursuits. “Crushing it and conquering” vs. “enjoying nature”..or are these ideas necessarily incompatible? And of course population pressures on our wild places.
- And speaking of population pressures and popularity of places, here is a photo by the summit of Everest showing a traffic jam. And, no surprise, some deaths occurred on Everest not longer after the publishing of this photo.
- Another look at the ongoing modification of the agreement for the Colorado River’s dwindling resources.
- An interesting 1999 interviews with two of the popularizers of Ultralight Backpacking: Ray and Jenny Jardine.
- Do apple fritters make good outdoor fuel? Why “YES!”
- A very snowy year in the American West as this photo of the Alpine Visitor Center in Rocky Mountain National Park shows.
- “Meanwhile, in Florida, the alligators have developed sign making skills.”